it's words!

Friday, January 16, 2009

don't call it a comeback!

I know nobody cares about Gopher basketball - indeed, possibly nobody cares about basketball at all - but tonight's 78-74 overtime win at Wisconsin was super badass. I'm kind of a Kentucky fan, too, so I'm doubly biased, but it's awfully hard to root against Tubby Smith; classy guy and a pretty good coach, too. This was only the fourth home loss of Bo Ryan's Big Ten career, and Minnesota's first win at Wisconsin since 1994.

Without dwelling, they were playing very poorly and down by 14 in the second half, and needed a three-pointer by Lawrence Westbrook (Brian's cousin, for true!) to tie up with 2 seconds left and send it to overtime. He ended up with 29 points, plus he's cute. Who said that?

I watched it at Mac's Industrial Sports Bar, in northeast Mpls, which is notable for the solid music they play and for the presence of a dartboard, which hosted my comprehensive halftime cricket victory. There were a lot of people there but not so many you couldn't get a table, and everybody got really into the game in the second half and overtime - quite fun.

Bo Ryan actually looks a LOT like the Grinch:






































A Google search confirms that I am not the first person to think that, but I came up with it on my own, so ha ha ha.

The Gopher women had a nice road win today too; they upset #15 Ohio State in Columbus - first-ever Minnesota win at Ohio State, after 23 straight losses.

I should've mentioned at the end of my last post that the only real effect of my interesting trip was to strengthen my resolve to get a camera.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home